X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Vancouver Olympics

Anyone care?? Watching/Not watching? Activists who hate this shit?

What say you??

I am usually only interested in the Hockey, which should be a good time. And seeing as it's all being held just a few hundred miles away from me, its kind of exciting...even though I don't really watch much of the events or care much in the grand scheme of things.

I think it's always an interesting psychological thing to me how countries rally behind their athletes and teams once every couple of years. I admit to getting worked up seeing a great comeback performance or something like that myself (ie: Simon Whitfield's second place finish in the triathlon last summer olympics was epic, but dammit if i can't find a video of it).

Anyway, for the next 2 weeks you won't be able to avoid it, so say something douchebags!

Olympic hockey is awesome.

Comment

The only thing I ever do with the Olympics is put it on as background noise. I do think it's funny after having 40+ inches of snow dumped on me in a week that Vancouver doesn't have enough

Also, around here, I think the Olympics are for real high-class assholes. In 2006 I went bar-hopping around this time, and when we hit the high-rent district, every bar had the Olympics on, and one of them had a group of douchebags in turtlenecks intently watching Curling

Comment

Georgian luge fella died after a crash in Vancouver today...yikes. scary track.

Comment

Originally posted by rm237 View Post
          Georgian luge fella died after a crash in Vancouver today...yikes. scary track.
          I saw that, pretty brutal.

Comment

http://www.heandfi.org/wp-content/up...inichiello.jpg
            will fuck you up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergei Kowalski View Post
              I saw that, pretty brutal.
              Video left a lot to be desired.

Comment

I saw Stan Smyl today carrying the torch right outside my school a little while ago. Was pretty sweet, seeing a legend from my home team. I only really care about the hockey, should be fantastic.

Comment

So what was the protest about in Vancouver today? Stupid fucking crusties, if you're gonna protest against 'the man' at least make it clear what you're protesting about.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Humpp View Post
                    So what was the protest about in Vancouver today? Stupid fucking crusties, if you're gonna protest against 'the man' at least make it clear what you're protesting about.
                    Just a bunch of fools who don't like sports that have nothing better to do with their sad lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Shigeru138 View Post
                      Olympic hockey is awesome.
                      Agreed. Should be fun.

Comment

So far its been a lot of fun, the hockey good, the Czech vs. Slovakia game tonight was pretty tight, even the Sweden vs. Germany game earlier was tighter than it should have been. So far I haven't been impressed with any team to actually overtake Canada. Even the Russians looked a little sloppy, consider their bottom two lines are lacking, depth on defense is spotty, and goaltending not as strong, although still quite good. I'm hoping Canada can take it with ease, no scares!

I also watched the halfpipe final, there's some serious artistry in these runs, Shaun White was incredible on both of his runs. He was last to go and scored high enough to win with his first run but did his second run and scored even higher, a record. The real draw of this event. Setting records, electrifying the crowd, I was really impressed with what he was able to accomplish. He's a good step above all of the competition, which is an incredible feat when talking about such small margins, lots of creativity, really strong on his board. Lots of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by KamuiX View Post
                          Also, around here, I think the Olympics are for real high-class assholes. In 2006 I went bar-hopping around this time, and when we hit the high-rent district, every bar had the Olympics on, and one of them had a group of douchebags in turtlenecks intently watching Curling

That's seriously how it is. Around where I live most people actually do keep up with the Olympics, but it's those assholes that, when you do actually go to a bar and see them, they have this sort of demeanor like they believe they invented the whole fucking thing. Like, "We're the ones who really give a damn." I know douchebags won't ever die out, but I am really looking forward to the demise of the douche of this generation. It's funny and ironic that we call them douches since it feels like the world needs a giant douche in order to cleanse it. /end rant

I don't hate the Olympics, I just can't retain enough interested to keep up with it. To be honest I didn't even know it started until last night. I'll probably check it out when I'm bored and there's nothing else to do, but that's about it. Sports never did anything for me to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Nos View Post
                            So far its been a lot of fun, the hockey good, the Czech vs. Slovakia game tonight was pretty tight, even the Sweden vs. Germany game earlier was tighter than it should have been. So far I haven't been impressed with any team to actually overtake Canada. Even the Russians looked a little sloppy, consider their bottom two lines are lacking, depth on defense is spotty, and goaltending not as strong, although still quite good. I'm hoping Canada can take it with ease, no scares!

I also watched the halfpipe final, there's some serious artistry in these runs, Shaun White was incredible on both of his runs. He was last to go and scored high enough to win with his first run but did his second run and scored even higher, a record. The real draw of this event. Setting records, electrifying the crowd, I was really impressed with what he was able to accomplish. He's a good step above all of the competition, which is an incredible feat when talking about such small margins, lots of creativity, really strong on his board. Lots of fun.
                            Shaun White it RIDICULOUS...he was so much better than the rest of the field...i can honestly say he's in a class of his own. Fun to watch too. Kid's only 23...yikes.

As for hockey, you'll see the teams tighten up over the next two games. They've all only had one or two practices with each other, so chemistry is lacking a bit with everyone (although, kudos to team Canada for picking line combos this year...i think its a brilliant move - Thornton/Heatley/Marleau, etc...)

Comment

Sweden and Canada should be fun tonight .. I'm guessing 3-2 or 4-3 for Sweden .. but I hope I'm wrong.

I can see Russia or the US taking the gold unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                              X