Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Martyrs (Laugier, 2008) Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Martyrs (Laugier, 2008)


    Martyrs
    (Laugier, 2008)

    http://infini-tropolis.com/reviews/i...tyrs_title.jpg

    (Click image for review.)

    Discuss.

  • #2
    i tried out a new underground video store on the weekend. i brought a pile of old horror to the counter, and while the guy was ringing me out he says "so you've seen Martyrs right? fucking amazing, but I don't know how to recommend it to anyone other than sick fucks".

    i just found it funny that he assumed I'd seen it, and he was right. maybe I just have a 'sick fuck' face.

    oh, and excellent movie. evil, horrible, torturous, but well done.

    Comment


    • #3
      Man, I can't wait to see this!! Waiting on the DVD myself, sounds like my twisted sense will find it to be a great time

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by KamuiX View Post
        Man, I can't wait to see this!! Waiting on the DVD myself, sounds like my twisted sense will find it to be a great time
        it's too bad it got tossed in the hat with all the other ultra violent european horror lately. it really is better than most of those. though it is incredibly disgusting. the audience in my theatre was gasping the whole time.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by KamuiX View Post
          Man, I can't wait to see this!! Waiting on the DVD myself, sounds like my twisted sense will find it to be a great time
          Is the DVD not out in the states yet??

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jarofsap View Post
            it's too bad it got tossed in the hat with all the other ultra violent european horror lately.
            Yeah that's so old lately. I wish foreign horror bothered to be unique instead of just trying to outgross Hollywood horror. It's immature and old at this point. Back in the 90s where Hollywood was really pussing out i can understand the foreign horror scene trying to push things graphically. But there's no need to anymore. Now the whole genre is just boring immature splatter pap. Which is why Let The Right One In came as something of a revelation. That's what foreign horror should be doing. Pushing the gore boundaries just for the sake of it is just lazy. Then again that's all horror fans want so I guess you can't blame the directors.

            Suspense and shocks are what get people on the edge of their seat. Not gore. And the level the French are delivering recently just reminds me of Braindead and leaves me in stitches. And I know that's not their goal.

            Modern filmmakers should watch Straw Dogs. That's a straight up nasty, edge of your seat movie. The end especially and there's really not much blood. There's violence and lots of it but it's not there just for the 'br00talz'. And because it doesn't overplay it the film is a classic.
            Last edited by Sergei Kowalski; 04-15-2009, 06:02 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rm237 View Post
              Is the DVD not out in the states yet??
              Nope, it comes out on the 28th.

              Comment


              • #8
                I found this a very visceral movie. I couldn't stop watching it because I was wondering wtf was going to happen next Recommended if you can handle alot of brutality in a movie.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sergei Kowalski View Post
                  Yeah that's so old lately. I wish foreign horror bothered to be unique instead of just trying to outgross Hollywood horror. It's immature and old at this point. Back in the 90s where Hollywood was really pussing out i can understand the foreign horror scene trying to push things graphically. But there's no need to anymore. Now the whole genre is just boring immature splatter pap. Which is why Let The Right One In came as something of a revelation. That's what foreign horror should be doing. Pushing the gore boundaries just for the sake of it is just lazy. Then again that's all horror fans want so I guess you can't blame the directors.

                  Suspense and shocks are what get people on the edge of their seat. Not gore. And the level the French are delivering recently just reminds me of Braindead and leaves me in stitches. And I know that's not their goal.

                  Modern filmmakers should watch Straw Dogs. That's a straight up nasty, edge of your seat movie. The end especially and there's really not much blood. There's violence and lots of it but it's not there just for the 'br00talz'. And because it doesn't overplay it the film is a classic.
                  if they can give me a nice combo of real suspense and gore, i'm a happy camper. that's why i'm a fan of this movie. when that... thing was chasing the main girl around, screeching and bending and clawing at her. *shudder*. that was some creepy shit.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I just feel like it's used as a crutch. Or the director fears people won't see his film if he doesn't put gore in it. And like I said. Considering the fanbase I guess I can't blame them. You only have to take one look at BD.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sergei Kowalski View Post
                      I just feel like it's used as a crutch. Or the director fears people won't see his film if he doesn't put gore in it. And like I said. Considering the fanbase I guess I can't blame them. You only have to take one look at BD.
                      I was really torn with this one, based exactly on what you are saying (obviously the review reflects that)...it could have been something much deeper if they had spent time developing some of background, concentrating on building suspense rather than bludgeoning the viewer with br00talz...

                      BUT, it's not a bad film...argh!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yeah too much gore detracts from a film.

                        Though I'm one of the few that thinks The Beyond could do with less lingering on the gore (it cheapens the atmosphere in places)... I'm sure that would get me shot.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sergei Kowalski View Post
                          Yeah too much gore detracts from a film.

                          Though I'm one of the few that thinks The Beyond could deal with less lingering on the gore... I'm sure that would get me shot.
                          Fulci, my English friend, is exempt from such trivialities. I just like to marvel at the ridiculously fun gore effects in The Beyond mroe than anything...

                          Martyrs, however, is about as much fun as nailing your dick to a burning building...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The gore is fine, it's the lingering and making a deal out of gore for gores sake that bothers me. The film suddenly grinds to a hault (Spider scene especially).

                            I love the gore at the end though. Exploding girl heads FTW.
                            Last edited by Sergei Kowalski; 04-15-2009, 07:08 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rm237 View Post
                              Martyrs, however, is about as much fun as nailing your dick to a burning building...
                              What exactly does it say about me that this makes me even more excited to see this?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X