• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wizard of Gore (Lewis, 1970)

The Wizard of Gore (Lewis, 1970)

http://infini-tropolis.com/reviews/i...zardHEADER.jpg

(Click image for review.)

Discuss.
    Last edited by KamuiX; 10-28-2008, 03:25 AM.

I hated it. From what I have seen Lewis really lacks as a director.

Comment

Originally posted by mmyersisgod View Post
      And that's the charm!!

Comment

Originally posted by mmyersisgod View Post
        You completely missed the point! "Lacks as a director"? This is fucking Herschel Gordon Lewis we're talking about here! Square ass jive mother fuckers these days.

A Lewis films is about the experience, not his directorial prowess.

Comment

I still need to see this the guy in Juno liked it and that movies super cool so he must know what he's talking about

Comment

I watched it a couple weeks back. It's pretty horrible, like shitty and hilarious bad. I feel like i should watch HG Lewis movies just because I'm a horror fan and remember the big as all outdoors video box in the store when I was a kid, and also I haven't seen much by him. I'm not seeking his work out because of his "talent", more like his "lack there of". Montag was pretty awful of an actor, and I think they showed the same clips of the audience every time he was doing one of his magic tricks.

This is one instance where the remake is much better than the original.
            Last edited by Death Bed; 11-04-2008, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Bed View Post
              I watched it a couple weeks back. It's pretty horrible, like shitty and hilarious bad. I feel like i should watch HG Lewis movies just because I'm a horror fan and remember the big as all outdoors video box in the store when I was a kid, and also I haven't seen much by him. I'm not seeking his work out because of his "talent", more like his "lack there of". Montag was pretty awful of an actor, and I think they showed the same clips of the audience every time he was doing one of his magic tricks.

This is one instance where the remake is much better than the original.
              Hah i remember those brick sized vhs boxs lol Infact i still have a 2000 maniacs VHS with the x large box.

Comment

Yeah man, them old Wizard Video releases were great! They have a retrospective about Wizard Video in the new Horror Hound magazine. It really brought back some memories.

Comment

If I had to describe this film with one word I would probably use "Baby-punch." Some might argue that that is an improper hyphenation, so I'd probably have to come up with another word to describe the film. This time, I would definitely go with "Whatthefuck" over and over again in rapid succession.

Comment

I'd say that's a fair assessment.

Comment

Granted the film is not without its faults, but I dig it. The premise is intriguing, as Lewis truly had a flair for interesting ideas. His execution was of course lacking, in this case a plot full of holes, but as I said that was part of his films charm. I think Kamui pretty much hit the nail on the head with this film. Isn't much more that needs to be added aside from some minor....or moreover not so minor plot grievances.

I actually have the old vhs for this somewhere, it was a previous rental which I picked up at thrift store for like a buck.

Comment

The VHS of it that you have....is it in the big old box with the woman being sawed in half on the cover?

As a side note, H.G. Lewis is computer advertising now. That's pretty interesting.

Comment

This is it:

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/7523/2511gv6.jpg

Comment

I have to be in a certain mood to watch Lewis, but i can dig the allure of the campy charm and god-awful acting. And, considering the era, the gore is pretty fun too.

Comment

Originally posted by rm237 View Post
                              I have to be in a certain mood to watch Lewis, but i can dig the allure of the campy charm and god-awful acting. And, considering the era, the gore is pretty fun too.
                              Agreed to an extent. I just find the gore aspect boring and dull. I guess I'm desensitized from everything else that gore alone just doesn't do anything for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X