Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breathless (Yang, 2009)

Ddongpari trailer

http://obscureness.com/1/breathless.jpg

Sang-Hoon is a smalltime gangster working for his friend and boss Man-Sik, collecting protection money from local shops and doing the odd job where someone needs an extra fist or two. For Sang-Hoon is a violent and extremely antisocial man, keeping everyone at bay with his incessant cursing and his habit of slapping people in the face for, well… any reason.

This stony facade shields a soul damaged by a childhood with years of domestic abuse and tragedy, including events which sent his father to prison for decades. The recent release of this father worsens Sang-Hoon’s foul mood, making it even difficult for him to communicate with his sister and her little son.

But then something odd happens.

When Sang-Hoon has a chance encounter with foulmouthed schoolgirl Yeon-Hee he is intrigued by her resilience. She keeps out-cursing him even after being slapped around, and strangely enough their constant sparring provides Sang-Hoon with more human contact than he is normally used to. The two become the unlikeliest of friends, even though they won’t admit to it at first. They have something in common: unknown to Sang-Hoon, Yeon-Hee is still a victim of daily domestic abuse by both her demented father and her violent brother.

The two slowly start to have a beneficial effect on each other, but will their violent surroundings allow for a mutual healing?

My favorite movie of the year so far and probably the best gangster flick since A Bittersweet Life. I was blown away when I found out the lead actor was also the writer, producer, and director (his debut too)!

Damn, sounds like South Korea is finally back when it comes to crime thrillers after floundering around for a few years. Really odd that you say this is the best film of the year as well, as at this point last year, The Chaser was mine, which is another South Korean crime thriller that was from a first-time writer/director. Must be something in the water over there right now. I'll definitely be checking this out ASAP!

Comment

Yeah The Chaser was my favorite movie last year as well. I think the only movie that could top Breathless as my favorite of the year would be Thirst.

Comment

is this movie ok for children?

Comment

Working...
        X