Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helpless (2012)
    http://obscureness.com/ca/helpless.jpg
    Director: Byun Young-joo

Plot: Veterinarian Mun-ho is on the way to visit his parents with his fiancée Seon-yeong, when Seon-yeong suddenly disappears at a rest stop while he is gone for a few minutes. Mun-ho looks all over the rest stop for her, but it seems as though she has simply evaporated, leaving only a hairpin on the restroom floor behind. Back in Seoul, Mun-ho goes to Seon-yeong’s house to find a mess that smacks of a break-in: He is convinced that his fiancée has been kidnapped. However, while searching for her, he discovers that Seon-yeong is not her real name. Receiving no further help from the police, he seeks help from his cousin, former detective Jong-geun. As they dig dipper into her disappearance, doubts increase and they get closer to uncovering another shocking truth about Seon-yeong.

Theatrical release: March 8, 2012 (South Korea)

HD Trailer

Based on the Japanese novel All She Was Worth.
    Last edited by Obscureness; 04-15-2012, 11:27 PM.

Comment

The Last Supper (2011)
      http://obscureness.com/ca/the-last-supper.jpg
      Director: Lu Chuan

Plot: The story of two warring generals (Liu Bang and Xiang Yu) fighting for control of China at the end of the Qin Dynasty.

Theatrical release: July 5, 2012 (China)

Trailer

City of Life and Death was excellent.
      Last edited by Obscureness; 04-15-2012, 11:27 PM.

Comment

The Raid. Everyone see it. Sweet Christ, it is amazing. The fighting is the best I've ever seen, and it is filmed wonderfully. There was one terrible instance of shaky-cam which seemed like some other director got a hold of the camera and just went bonkers. Other than that, it is incredible fighting captured on film. Simple plot that is predictable at times, but good god, who gives a crap. I've been on an adrenaline rush since leaving the theater and haven't shut up about it. SEE IT!

Comment

Going to have myself a double feature one day next week with The Raid and Cabin in the Woods. Should be pretty awesome, I'm hearing nothing but great things about both.

Comment

I love this thread. Obscureness is doing a great job of keeping it super interesting. Huge reference point for me, The Raid sounds really fun, anything else like it I can check out now? I saw Kitano's Outrage being thrown around in the same breath. Any action right now would be great. I saw some ads for Cabin in the Woods and I was like 'what is this? looks kind of like an Evil Dead take off or something' looked it up and found out it's a Buffy 'team' project. So...I'm interested.

Seriously need to get back into the groove here, playoffs man, playoffs. Sapping all my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nos View Post
              I love this thread. Obscureness is doing a great job of keeping it super interesting. Huge reference point for me, The Raid sounds really fun, anything else like it I can check out now? I saw Kitano's Outrage being thrown around in the same breath. Any action right now would be great. I saw some ads for Cabin in the Woods and I was like 'what is this? looks kind of like an Evil Dead take off or something' looked it up and found out it's a Buffy 'team' project. So...I'm interested.
              Cabin in the Woods does look like some good fun.

Seriously need to get back into the groove here, playoffs man, playoffs. Sapping all my time.
              Canucks'll be out soon, then you will have all the time you want.

Comment

You're one cooooold mutha fucka ODPS. Canucks will be fine, this is as bad as they'll ever play, besides I'm the type of dude that's really into every series right down to the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Nos View Post

Something similar that I would highly recommend is SPL (Sha Po Lang), known as Kill Zone in the US. I think this is the movie that gave Hong Kong new hope for it's return to their badass 80's/90's action/martial arts movies. It's also the starting point of Donnie Yen and Wilson Yip working together, which has been one of the best things to happen for martial arts movies.

The excellent followup: Flash Point (Netflix Instant HD)

The duo also did Ip Man and Ip Man 2. You've surely seen them though, right?

You should also watch Merantau (Netflix Instant HD). It's the starting of another great duo, Gareth Evans and Iko Uwais.

I don't know what all you've seen, so I'll just list some other notable martial arts movies from the past few years:

Chocolate
                  Raging Phoenix ((Netflix Instant HD) - Not as good as Chocolate but it's pretty fun.
                  Ong-Bak
                  The Protector - Loved the long take scene.
                  BKO: Bangkok Knockout (Netflix Instant HD) - Lots of impressive action.
                  The Rebel
                  Black Belt - A really classical type karate movie.
                  The City of Violence
                  District B13
                  District B13: Ultimatum (Netflix Instant HD)
                  Undisputed II
                  Undisputed III

Last night I watched Mandrill (Netflix Instant HD) which stars Marko Zaror (the main villain in Undisputed III). It was a pretty nice 70's influenced action flick.
                  Last edited by Obscureness; 04-14-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I might be seeing Cabin In The Woods tonight. I'll report back if I do.

Comment

Can definitely vouch for Flash Point, Ip Man, Chocolate and District B13. All of those are a hell of a lot of fun. Not all of these types of movies click with me as some are sorely lacking in story and throw cheeseball comedy in to pad between action scenes (I honestly don't like Ong-Bak much at all), but when they do get everything right they're super entertaining. I need to check out Merantau this weekend.

Originally posted by Obscureness View Post
                      Last night I watched Mandrill (Netflix Instant HD) which stars Marko Zaror (the main villain in Undisputed III). It was a pretty nice 70's influenced action flick.
                      Didn't realize this was on Netflix. Need to watch it ASAP. I got a kick out of the last two Espinoza/Zaror flicks (Mirageman and Kiltro).

Comment

Originally posted by KamuiX View Post
                        Didn't realize this was on Netflix. Need to watch it ASAP. I got a kick out of the last two Espinoza/Zaror flicks (Mirageman and Kiltro).
                        I haven't watched either of those. They're both on Netflix HD so I'll have to check them out sometime. Marko's acrobatic skills are really impressive especially considering his size.

Comment

Helter Skelter (2012)
                          http://obscureness.com/ca/helter-skelter.jpg
                          Director: Mika Ninagawa

Plot: Through round after round of extensive plastic surgery and vigorous maintenance, Ririko has become the absolute manifestation of beauty, and becomes a wildly successful model, actress, and singer. However, soon, her body, unable to withstand the burdens of surgery, begins to crumble, and along with it so does her mind, as she plummets towards a frightening and inevitable end.

Theatrical release: July 14, 2012 (Japan)

HD Trailer

This is based on the psychological manga, which is supposed to be pretty crazy.
                          Last edited by Obscureness; 05-14-2012, 09:28 PM. Reason: Added the full length trailer.

Comment

It does sound crazy. I must find this when it hits the states.

Comment

Rurouni Kenshin (2012)
                              http://obscureness.com/ca/rurouni-kenshin.jpg
                              Director: Keishi Ohtomo

Plot: Japan is about to enter the Meiji era and transition from the Middle Ages to industrialization. The samurai have no place in this modern society where warriors are less useful than traders. Unemployed, having lost the right to wear the sword, and facing guns and cannons, the samurai will gradually disappear into legend. Kenshin is one of such lost warrior. Once a grand master of the sword he is now a vagabond, wandering the roads of Japan. However, his chivalry and courage will make this one-time mercenary a loved and respected vigilante.

Theatrical release: August 25, 2012 (Japan)

HD Trailer

Comment

Dudes...The Raid was OK, lots of great action, but seriously...the Oldboy fight scene trumps anything in this. Its pretty gory and fast-paced, but there were scenes of constant action that were boring as hell. ie: the final 3-way fight scene got to the point where i was just praying it would be over. its just a bunch of run-of-the-mill choreography that lasts FOREVER...eesh

Anyway, a fun watch but nothing about it screams a theatrical release in North America....considering there are MANY other films i think deserved it a whole lot more.

Sorry to be a bummer, but it aint all that.

Comment

Working...
                                X