X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyware.

AVG detected spyware on my PC, am I fucked?

Run a full scan with Malwarebytes and/or Ad-Aware. Spybot's immunization and TeaTimer is also something you might want to activate as it helps to block the installation of spyware before it occurs.

Malwarebytes

Ad-Aware

Spybot - Search & Destroy

You may also want to switch to a different free Antivirus:

Avira AntiVir

Avast

Comment

I agree with Obscureness. Malwarebytes is an awesome program. I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a antivirus/spyware combo and integrates well with Windows. Great detection rates as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Comment

Ok so I downloaded Malwarebytes, installed it and it let me open it. I ran a scan and then it ended. I reset my computer to try again and now it won't let me open Malwarebytes at all.
        Windows defender is finding no harmful software. I did however notcie a process in my task manager called b.exe which would appear to be a virus I've ended the process.
        Will restart again and see whappen.

Comment

Sounds like you've got a nasty one. My dad got a similar one, where it would block anti-spyware apps from opening, and re-direct you when attempting to go to their websites. Something else to try. Avira Recovery CD.

http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/a...ue_system.html

Comment

Originally posted by Klown View Post
            Sounds like you've got a nasty one. My dad got a similar one, where it would block anti-spyware apps from opening, and re-direct you when attempting to go to their websites. Something else to try. Avira Recovery CD.

http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/a...ue_system.html
            Cheers mate, I'll give that try. Yeah, it's redirecting my links in google etc No idea where it came from as I've not visited/downloaded anything out of the ordinary.

Comment

I purchased Norton Antivirus a few months back and I don't get anything. You should check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by dead breed View Post
                I purchased Norton Antivirus a few months back and I don't get anything. You should check it out.
                Worst antivirus program...ever! Nah, I don't know if it's the worst but I stopped using it a few years back when I had the most random problem with it. I couldn't access my email account from any website (gmail, aol, yahoo, etc.) and I couldn't figure out why. Well, it turned out that Norton decided to block me from accessing them and the only way to fix it was to uninstall the program I paid $40 for. I stopped using it after that. It came installed on this computer and I uninstalled it.

Avira is good. It always pops up for viruses and I haven't had any problems with this laptop...yet.

Comment

Try SUPERAntiSpyware and run that. It's free. I had a horrible virus last year that I had to eventually just reformat to get rid of, as it wouldn't let me open any programs, and if I figured out a way to, it refused to let it update or complete a scan. SUPERAntiSpyware was one of the few apps that let me do anything at all, so I've kept it around and haven't had a thing happen to me since.

Also, I'd highly recommend using Firefox if you already have it and using the AdBlock Plus and Web of Trust add-ons. Web of Trust will block badly rated sites (you'll have to say okay to access them) and ABP blocks all ads, which many viruses can stem from. If you're using IE, its security is pretty bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Robomega View Post
                    Worst antivirus program...ever! Nah, I don't know if it's the worst but I stopped using it a few years back when I had the most random problem with it. I couldn't access my email account from any website (gmail, aol, yahoo, etc.) and I couldn't figure out why. Well, it turned out that Norton decided to block me from accessing them and the only way to fix it was to uninstall the program I paid $40 for. I stopped using it after that. It came installed on this computer and I uninstalled it.

Avira is good. It always pops up for viruses and I haven't had any problems with this laptop...yet.
                    Yeah norton has actually improved within the last two years. Runs alot better now and doesn't eat at the cpu like it used to. Not to mention they actually allow you to install it on more than one computer.

Malwarebytes is good, I don't use any of the other programs. Sometimes though it may take a few scans and restarts to fully clean it up the mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Robomega View Post

I never had that problem, interesting ..

Originally posted by Disturbed Dan View Post
                      Yeah norton has actually improved within the last two years. Runs alot better now and doesn't eat at the cpu like it used to. Not to mention they actually allow you to install it on more than one computer.
                      Yeah I had it a few years back as well and it slowed down my PC, but now it runs smooth and doesn't delay everything loading. I agree it has improved 100% imo

Comment

So I actually got round to getting this sorted yesterday (I've been using my MAC instead of my PC for a few months). Decided to upgrade to Windows 7, wipe the hardrive and start again. I had all my tunes/mixes/films backed up on my external so it wasn't really a big deal in the end.
                        I'm really liking Windows 7, but it does make you wonder that since XP and 7 both work so well, what the fuck was Vista all about?
                        As far as Anti Virus Software goes I'm just running AVG which seems to do the trick.

Comment

If you want a good antivirus software, use Nod32 and spybot for spyware and malware detection.

Comment

Originally posted by venom10463 View Post
                            If you want a good antivirus software, use Nod32 and spybot for spyware and malware detection.
                            Cheers man, I'll get right on it.

Comment

Working...
                            X