It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Film Tracker: Discussion

All purpose film discussion.

Film Tracker: Discussion

Post by Nos » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Discuss and/or list all the films you watch all year here!
I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

Re: Film Tracker: Discussion

Post by Nos » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:25 pm

After Halloween I had a bit of a lull in viewing anything but over the last little bit, hitting the holiday season, here's what I've watched...

11/27: A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (Melendez & Roman, 1973) ***1/2
11/27: This Is America, Charlie Brown: The Mayflower Voyagers (Brown, 1988) **1/2
12/01: Go (Liman, 1999) ***1/2
12/02: Toy Story That Time Forgot (Purcell, 2014) ***
12/03: Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Hughes, 1987) ****
12/04: Uncle Buck (Hughes, 1989) ***1/2
12/05: A Christmas Carol (Hurst, 1951) ***1/2
12/06: Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Roemer, 1964) ***1/2
I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

Post by Danielsan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:52 pm

Really the only two things I have watched this month and recently...

Post by Nos » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:25 am

^ Nice, I don't think I've ever seen that Silent Night, Deadly Night sequel. I'm only really familiar with the first one but I have seen Parts 2 & 3 back in the day of VHS rentals. Here's what I've watched the past couple weeks...

12/08: Trading Places (Landis, 1983) ***1/2
12/09: Lethal Weapon (Donner, 1987) ****
12/09: Die Hard (McTiernan, 1988) ****
12/14: Bill Burr: I'm Sorry You Feel That Way (Karas, 2014) ***
12/15: The Santa Clause (Pasquin, 1994) **1/2
12/18: Home Alone (Columbus, 1990) ****
12/18: Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (Columbus, 1992) **1/2
12/20: Jingle All the Way (Levant, 1996) **1/2
12/21: Christmas Evil (Jackson, 1980) ***
12/21: Silent Night, Deadly Night (Sellier Jr., 1984) ***
12/22: Ernest Saves Christmas (Cherry, 1988) ***
12/22: The Muppet Christmas Carol (Henson, 1992) ***
12/23: Bad Santa (Zwigoff, 2003) ***
12/23: Scrooged (Donner, 1988) ***

I really enjoy Christmas Evil, it's twisted, raw and cerebral, ahead of its time and the main performance by Brandon Maggart is top notch. It's effective, it's also pretty funny to read those hate mail letters they got, they're included with the Blu-ray, that movie's never looked better. I also watched Trading Places for the first time and loved it. Jamie Lee Curtis nude... woah, Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy play off of each other well, funny and amusing. I really dig that story too, nature vs. nurture and the stock trading backdrop was perfectly realized. Entertaining as fuck. Check out Bill Burr's new standup special, it's on Netflix, it's pretty hilarious.

Post by fatesdesigner » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Holy hell I've missed this place. And the new look is pretty damn sexy.

ONLY GOD FORGIVES (Refn, 2013) - 4.5/5
The more I see this nonsensical and bizarre film, the more I come out enjoying it. Perhaps I'm too much of a sucker for a neon color palette, synth driven soundtrack and a perfectly stoic Gosling, but I truly do love it.

SHALLOW GRAVE (Boyle, 1994) - 4.5/5
I've gotta say, now having watched Doctor Who, seeing this one is almost surreal at times. Still a phenomenal piece of cinema, and one of my favorites from Boyle.

Post by Danielsan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:08 pm

Nos wrote:^ Nice, I don't think I've ever seen that Silent Night, Deadly Night sequel. I'm only really familiar with the first one but I have seen Parts 2 & 3 back in the day of VHS rentals. Here's what I've watched the past couple weeks...

Honestly the best one aside from part 2. Sooo friggin stupid when it's all said and done.

Post by Nos » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:52 am

fatesdesigner wrote:Holy hell I've missed this place. And the new look is pretty damn sexy.

ONLY GOD FORGIVES (Refn, 2013) - 4.5/5
The more I see this nonsensical and bizarre film, the more I come out enjoying it. Perhaps I'm too much of a sucker for a neon color palette, synth driven soundtrack and a perfectly stoic Gosling, but I truly do love it.

SHALLOW GRAVE (Boyle, 1994) - 4.5/5
I've gotta say, now having watched Doctor Who, seeing this one is almost surreal at times. Still a phenomenal piece of cinema, and one of my favorites from Boyle.

Awesome to see you dude, I'm glad you're digging the look. I've been meaning to see both of those movies but I've put off Only God Forgives in favor of other, more pertinent to the holidays, stuff. I can't believe I still haven't seen Shallow Grave, loving these reminders, it's good to see you enjoyed both a lot. Here's what I watched during the peak of the holidays...

12/24: Christmas Vacation (Chechik, 1989) ****
12/24: Gremlins (Dante, 1984) ****
12/25: Black Christmas (Clark, 1974) ****
12/25: A Christmas Story (Clark, 1983) ****
12/25: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Jones & Washam, 1966) ****
12/25: A Charlie Brown Christmas (Melendez, 1965) ****
12/25: Mickey's Christmas Carol (Mattinson, 1983) ***1/2
12/25: Pluto's Christmas Tree (Hannah, 1952) ***1/2
12/25: The Hockey Champ (King, 1939) ***
12/25: Corn Chips (Hannah, 1951) ***
12/26: A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (Strauss-Schulson, 2011) ***
12/26: To All a Goodnight (Hess, 1980) **1/2
12/27: Game Over (Manzor, 1989) ***
12/27: A Garfield Christmas Special (Roman & Singer, 1987) ***1/2

I watched a couple things in the Christmas Afterglow :mrgreen: , To All a Goodnight was surprisingly entertaining, lots of sexy babes running around looking good, the only directorial effort by David Hess, crazed Santa Claus chopping up unsuspecting teens. If you're into that kind of thing, like I am, you'll probably find it above average. I could even see it growing on me with time.

Game Over was another crazy guy dressed as Santa Claus on the loose flick but with a little more going on, the main protagonist is an intelligent and resourceful child who likes to dress up and act like Rambo, he's tech savvy, this movie is like a cross between Home Alone, First Blood and Die Hard. The only other person in the house is his older frail grandfather. It's in French, this movie was well ahead of its time, the child works on a computer (from the 80's) and even tours message boards online looking for proof of a Santa Claus (he's at that age where the illusion is beginning to slip), this is how the killer finds him. This thing captured my imagination, there's a secret passageway toy factory/hideout/graveyard that only the kid knows about as a place he and his estranged father shared. I'm a sucker for secret passageways and hidden rooms. :D The place is huge and the terrain advantage is with the child who knows the place like the back of his hand. The killer is psychotic and unpredictable. A hidden gem, check it out.

I was also happy to have found Pluto's Christmas Tree on the Mickey's Christmas Carol Blu-ray, it's a Disney short I had watched all the time as a child and hadn't seen in several years. I had forgotten its title, I knew the short by heart, and love it dearly, I just didn't know where to find it. So glad to fill in that nostalgic gap.

Post by Celluloid Terror » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:05 pm

Killing Them Softly - Fantastic performances and a handful of memorable interactions and scenes but it ultimately left me feeling unsatisfied. It's like enjoying a meal, but then having to eat something else after it so you don't think about how you're still hungry.

Post by Danielsan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:25 pm

Watched willowcreek friday night. Word of warning... don't watch willowcreek. I thought I seen all the cruddy horror movies this year. This fucking thing.... UGH!!!! 80 mins long. About 40-45 mins is them walking around talking to people, learning about the myth of big foot in willowcreek. It's bullshit. Especially when we watch some guy sing a bigfoot song for about five minutes. When we actually get to where were going. Where the movie should be worth a damn, the big payoff would have made that shit worth it. Instead.... when the intensity starts in the movie, we're left with two people sitting in a tent listening to growling for 10 mins. Fuck the ending. Fuck it all.

Post by fatesdesigner » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:17 pm

Nos wrote:Awesome to see you dude, I'm glad you're digging the look. I've been meaning to see both of those movies but I've put off Only God Forgives in favor of other, more pertinent to the holidays, stuff. I can't believe I still haven't seen Shallow Grave, loving these reminders, it's good to see you enjoyed both a lot. Here's what I watched during the peak of the holidays...

Same to ya as well, it's good to be back! :D And I highly recommend Shallow Grave. It's both a thrillingly delicious piece of pitch-black cinema and a great character study.

CHEAP THRILLS (Katz, 2013) - 4/5
Been wanting to see this one for quite some time now, and finally seized the opportunity once I realized it was on Amazon Prime. It's a deliciously dark film that exploits friendships, marriage and the age-old question of "What would you do for money?" While a bit predictable at times, the film still manages to pack a punch by blending together pitch-black humor and a large amount of tension into a mostly great success.

CAN'T HARDLY WAIT (Elfont & Kaplan, 1998) - 3/5
After the boyfriend didn't quite get his Ethan Embry fix from Cheap Thrills, I decided to show him this mostly likable teen comedy. While some of the characters can get a bit annoying and tiresome, this coming-of-age tale set at a high school graduation party has it's moments of fun and laughs. The supporting cast make some of my favorite moments happen, including Melissa Joan Hart as the girl on a quest to get everyone to sign her yearbook.

THE BLING RING (Coppola, 2013) - 3.5/5
The Bling Ring is probably my least favorite Sofia Coppola film, but I still find it to be a well-made one, utilizing the directors niche to have its characters completely detached from the viewers. Playing out like a Bret Easton Ellis novel, the movie has some truly gorgeous scenes that a bolstered by a damn good soundtrack.

Next

Return to The Cineplex