It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Film Tracker: Discussion

All purpose film discussion.

Re: Film Tracker: Discussion

Post by Danielsan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:47 pm

Took a look at both island of death and wyrmwood.

Island of Death - oy vey.... what a rough movie not in a bad way though. Really brutal. There is a scene with a... hmm... a goat.
Wyrmwood - Found this pretty entertaining. Though i hate when companies throw stupid ass taglines on the posters and cases. Mad max meets dawn of the dead? K... they wear football and paintball gear towards the later half of the movie. There's cars resemble nothing mad max like. Confused why they went with dawn of the dead? Just a zombie movie. Stupid funny zombie movie.

Post by fatesdesigner » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:08 am

REPEAT VIEWINGS / BLU-RAY / NETFLIX / AMAZON PRIME / THEATERS

Lilo & Stitch (DeBlois & Sanders, 2002) - 3.5/5
Horns (Aja, 2013) - 3.5/5
Kingsman: The Secret Service (Vaughn, 2014) - 4.5/5
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (McLoughlin, 1986) - 3.5/5
ABCs of Death 2 (Various, 2014) - 2.5/5
Witching & Bitching (Iglesia, 2013) - 4/5

I'm too tired to think, but here's a quick review of everything: Lilo & Stitch was an adorably odd movie that I'm glad I was finally forced to watch. Horns was a predictable albeit well made revenge film that had some great dialogue. Kingsman was a phenomenal and important contribution to both the comic book and spy genres. Jason Lives is still probably the best in a pretty terrible series. ABCS of Death 2 was better than the first, but still only had a few great moments, a couple awful segments and many mediocre bits scattered throughout. And finally, Witching & Bitching was one hell of a good time and completely blew expectations out of the water.

Post by Danielsan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:34 pm

fatesdesigner wrote:REPEAT VIEWINGS / BLU-RAY / NETFLIX / AMAZON PRIME / THEATERS

I'm too tired to think, but here's a quick review of everything: Lilo & Stitch was an adorably odd movie that I'm glad I was finally forced to watch. Horns was a predictable albeit well made revenge film that had some great dialogue. Kingsman was a phenomenal and important contribution to both the comic book and spy genres. Jason Lives is still probably the best in a pretty terrible series. ABCS of Death 2 was better than the first, but still only had a few great moments, a couple awful segments and many mediocre bits scattered throughout. And finally, Witching & Bitching was one hell of a good time and completely blew expectations out of the water.

The only segment I can say I really enjoyed on Abc's of death 2 was the zombie trials. Found it quite hilarious and refreshing imo.

Post by fatesdesigner » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:00 pm

Danielsan wrote:
fatesdesigner wrote:REPEAT VIEWINGS / BLU-RAY / NETFLIX / AMAZON PRIME / THEATERS

The only segment I can say I really enjoyed on Abc's of death 2 was the zombie trials. Found it quite hilarious and refreshing imo.

That was definitely one of my favorites, was definitely a unique take on the subject. I did get enjoyment out of a few others, particullarly K is for Knell (the black liquid sphere in the sky), Y is for Youth (the young girl daydreams of her parents death) and Z is for Zygote (for the effects alone). Masticate, Utopia, Split and Jesus were also pretty good imo. Looking at the list now, everything before J was pretty much passable.

REPEAT VIEWINGS / BLU-RAY / NETFLIX / AMAZON PRIME / THEATERS

American Mary (Soska Sisters, 2012) - 3.5/5
Sunshine (Boyle, 2007) - 5/5

American Mary is still a surprisingly good time, and Sunshine remains of my absolute favorites.

Post by KamuiX » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Whelp, The Babadook was lame. Just another in a long line of horror films (the last was The Conjuring) that you can't go a day without hearing about how great it is when it doesn't deserve it. The creature effects are amazing. So is much of the direction. Everything else isn't. My main two complaints are firstly, that this is one of those films that I've been beaten over the head with about how scary it is. It isn't. No suspense at all because of the way the film is set up (don't want to spoil anything, but there's no threat).

But more so, I hated the main characters. You have a woman that's so broken from her husband being killed in a car crash SEVEN YEARS AGO, that she hardly functions and is a shit mother to her child. Man up for your kid. And then there's the kid, who annoyed the hell out of me. I'll admit, about halfway through, I started to warm up to him, the way that he was so devoted to his mom, regardless of how awful and crazy she was towards him. I dug how he essentially knew she COULD be a great mother to him and put the past behind her and was willing to stay by her side until she figured that out. But by that point, I couldn't muster up the energy to care anymore.

Anyone else underwhelmed by this?

On the flip-side, The Guest was a total blast. Maybe the finest 80s throwback I've seen...ever. Great soundtrack, excellent direction, and tongue planted firmly in cheek. Dan Stevens is beyond awesome as the main character. There's some suspension of disbelief required, but this is geared for fans of 80s-style thrillers/action flicks, so we're already conditioned to throw logic out of the window. I honestly don't know where Adam Wingard pulled this one out of, given his other two films I absolutely hated. It gives me hopes that other directors with 80s visions (Ti West, Jason Eisiner) might one day put all the pieces together and finally make something that's not just pretty to look at, but also something worth watching. Really high recommendation on this one.

Post by KamuiX » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:36 pm

My love for anthologies finally got the better of me and I watched The ABCs of Death. I should have listened to everyone that said it was a waste of time. There was a handful of brilliance (D, L, R, V...I would love to see R and V fleshed out, very intriguing stuff), a handful of entertaining (N, O, T, Y, X), and a whole bucketful of garbage. What boggles my mind is that a lot of these directors have made films I really like. For instance, the A through C films are all made my Spanish directors who have made films I'd call myself a big fan of (Timecrimes, Late Phases and Mirageman) here are dire. It's like most of these guys, who are generally passionate and visionary, came up with their premise, script, and wrapped shooting all in 10 minutes and never looked back. I felt insulted, like 90% of those involved just did not care and did everything half-assed. What in the fuck was G even about? I could shoot something out my back window that had more story and meaning. And don't even get me started on M, directed by Ti West. All you fuckers that tell me Ti West is good and the future of horror...Defend this. I dare you.

Post by Nos » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:06 pm

I'm not big into new horror, I've found it to be pretty lifeless, but my cousin is big into it and he keeps me somewhat up to date, he was the one who got me to watch Resolution, which I found to be okay and worth watching. I should get him to post here, but I'm glad to see some other opinions that I value picking through the muck, it gives me a better impression. I love anthologies too, are there any good new anthologies? :P I watched V/H/S and V/H/S/2 last year and found them to be virtually unbearable, and forgettable. Ti West? :lol: That's what's become a 'household name' in the horror community? I think the only thing of his that I've seen is Cabin Fever 2 and it was one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever seen. He'll never do anything worthwhile and I'm usually not one to totally write somebody off. I have heard that The Conjuring is pretty good though, so it kind of sucks to see your opinion contradict that. I was interested in seeing it.

I was checking out your Film Tracker Kamui, was that the first time you saw Nightbreed? Or the first Director's Cut view? I love Nightbreed but I haven't seen it in years and when I found out about the new Director's Cut, something that was thought to not exist anymore, I was floored, I still need to pick it up, but if it was your first Director's Cut view how does it change your impression of the film itself? An improvement? Also, kicks ass to see you enjoyed Kingsman: The Secret Service so much. I might have ignored it, my cousin also really enjoyed it. Matthew Vaughn seems to be carving out a nice canon of films.
I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

Post by KamuiX » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:58 pm

I feel the same about new horror, very few films ever impress me. Actually, I haven't watched much horror at all over the past couple of years. Suddenly I've been in the mood, so I've been going back and watching stuff I missed. The best I've seen recently is Late Phases, very understated werewolf film, and a rare good one. Imagine if Silver Bullet starred Charles Bronson as a blind vet instead of Haim in the wheelchair. Then you'll get an idea of what it's sort of like. The werewolves look like something right out of The Howling.

Resolution is actually arguably my favorite recent horror film, the only films that rival it are Lovely Molly and Absentia (would obviously recommend those if you haven't seen them).

Totally agree about the first two VHS films, although I thought each had a segment that made them worth slogging through. The final segment in the first I had a blast watching, and the cult segment in the second I fucking love. But the rest of them are downright awful. The only horror anthology I can think of really liking over the last few years was The Theatre Bizarre. I liked that a lot. Karim Hussain's segment is a thing of grimy beauty. If there's any way to find out if those 4 segments from ABCs are available alone, I'd recommend them too.

You haven't heard all the praise for Ti West? They treat him like this generation's John Carpenter. It's been going on since House of the Devil came out. His stuff is aurally and visually excellent, but he needs a screenwriter ASAP. Screenplay wise, his films are terrible. Although to be fair, he's written off Cabin Fever 2 as an Alan Smithee thing since it was fucked with big time post-production without his consent. At least I got to the end of the other films of his I watched...I cut off CF2 in about 25 minutes.

I was feeling the same about Adam Wingard (You're Next is one of the worst horror films I've seen in the past few years, yet everyone was talking about how unique it was), but then I watched The Guest earlier this week, and was blown away. Possibly the best 80s throwback I've ever seen. West has hope...maybe.

The Conjuring isn't bad, just waaaay overrated. For me it wasn't different than most other ghost fair that litters theatrical horror now. Unlike The Babadook, it does have a couple of nice creepy scenes.

I've only ever seen Nightbreed on VHS, in the mid 90s. I read the book and loved it, stumbled on the film at a local video rental place, and almost blew my lid when I realized it was based on one of my favorite Barker books. The only thing I can say is now looking back, it was sort of like what Lynch's Dune became for me. A mess of a film, but since I read the book, I could follow it and enjoyed it. The director's cut fixed pretty much all of that. It's been so long since I saw the theatrical though, I can't say how different it is. I can tell you it's been a good decade since I read the book, and didn't find myself lost or trying to fill in gaps from the book that were missing in the movie to make sense of things, as I remember doing when I saw it like 20 years ago. Kind of reminds me of Dark City's director's cut. The pacing and flow of the film just feels much more natural.

Oh, and Kingsman has the best big action scene I've seen theatrically in a long time. It's an awe-inspiring couple of minutes.

Post by Nos » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Nice, I'm always up for a werewolf movie, Late Phases sounds pretty cool from your description. I might check that out tonight if I find time. Absentia is probably my favorite of the newer horror, that I've seen anyway, I wasn't too taken with Lovely Molly but I did see it. I'd put Resolution between those two. The Theatre Bizarre sounds pretty good too, I'll grab that as well and try to watch it tonight.

Man, I should watch Dark City again, the DC, it's been a while. Nice mention. You know what really sucks? The IMDb message boards, but I keep going back because there are a lot of people there talking about any number of things, but it's such a cesspool, it's discouraging. So much dumb, too many trolls, I don't know why I go back...it's just to read, not to participate. I wish some of the more sensible and intelligent posters would gravitate to here, but you can't even really plug your shit without people instantly dismissing you. I wonder why people enjoy talking there, for the sheer volume? I wonder what it would take to break that cycle, I wonder what happened to cultivating a separate persona. From my experience it's always better to be involved with a smaller more intimate community, you get better discussion, more intelligence, and a kinder response.

Anyway, I was reading about True Romance, which I love, and got into all the praise from Tarantino fan boys who think his films are the best thing ever and nothing can even compare new or old, whether they've seen the films they're comparing his to or not, it doesn't matter, and their ranking of his films where many people put Jackie Brown near the bottom, which is insane to me because I think it's in his Top 2 films made, directed and written by. I guess most of these people have to be younger and inexperienced, which makes me sound like an old 'fuddy duddy'. :P You can't win, gotta stop trying. :mrgreen:
I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

Post by KamuiX » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:41 pm

Sometimes I check out the IMDb boards when I'm looking for some info (something I forgot about a movie, to see if my thoughts about a movie reflect anyone else, etc.), and I always regret it. I've kind of kept my movie discussions to FB and Letterboxd. And now here has been re-added :mrgreen:

About 3am last night I stumbled across a FB update from Derrick (Mr. Bishop) about how good a movie called Starry Eyes was. We agree on a lot of movie stuff, so I stayed up to watch it. Really glad I did. What a wonderfully refreshing horror film this was, something that's pretty hard to find in this day and age of modern horror. As subtly creepy as the first hour was, the last 30 minutes is sheer madness. Alexandra Esso was simply amazing, she became the role...I can't think of being this impressed with a lead female role in a horror film since probably Angela Bettis in May. And what an excellent soundtrack too. I'd rank this right up there with the best recent horror offers (I'd put this up there with other recent favorites like Absentia and Resolution.) I can't wait to see what these two guys have up their sleeves next.

PreviousNext

Return to The Cineplex