It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:36 am

2015 Weekly Dashboard Challenge!

All purpose film discussion.

Re: 2015 Weekly Dashboard Challenge!

Post by Yul » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:51 am

Week 04: Flesh+Blood (Verhoeven, 1985) ***

Another blast from Verhoeven with lots of re-watch potential.

"... watching... always on the prowl for intruders... ready to kill... ready to devour... thirsty for young blood."

Post by Nos » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:01 am

Flesh+Blood (Verhoeven, 1985) ***1/2

Top notch erotic medieval savagery, interesting and likeable characters, motivations remain mysterious and directed with such fun flair. Rutger Hauer was bad ass, Jennifer Jason Leigh insanely hot...I mean off the charts and battling conflicting emotions well. I also think this is going to have high rewatchability potential. :mrgreen:
I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

Post by Yul » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:34 am

Week 05: Deadly Prey (Prior, 1987) ***

Mike Danton is one cool badass ma'fucka, the barrel roll kills were my personal favorites, couldn't get enough. :D It surprised me a little they resurrected the series with the original cast members in Deadliest Prey, definitely will be checking that out in the near future.

"... watching... always on the prowl for intruders... ready to kill... ready to devour... thirsty for young blood."

Post by Nos » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:04 am

Deadly Prey (Prior, 1987) ***

:mrgreen: That was pretty great, tons of fun, Ted Prior was hilarious as Mike Danton with lots of classic 80's action movie tropes caked in cheese and violence. I was surprised by how quickly things progressed. :lol: It was like 20 minutes in and already within the thick of it and I was curious how it could be sustained but it was done well with a pretty cool ending. Such a kick ass and rocking score too that follows along with the action like a character itself. I'm looking forward to David A. Prior's other films including the sequel to Deadly Prey.
I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

Post by Yul » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:23 am

Week 06: Massacre Time (Fulci, 1966) ***

Well done Western flick from a brilliant acting/writing/directing trio, kick ass soundtrack too!

Post by Nos » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:50 am

Massacre Time (Fulci, 1966) ***

Pretty cool, and worthy, little spaghetti western from the Godfather of Gore. Franco Nero was as charismatic as ever and I was also impressed by George Hilton as Nero's cohort. The script was relatively interesting with an intriguing turn and the ending was adept and satisfying. There were some beautiful landscape scenes, set design was on point, I loved how the film looked, and the main 'theme' was robust and amusing. It made for a rather good time, recommended, check it out.

Post by Nos » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:00 pm

The Mack (Campus, 1973) ****

The Mack was fucking awesome, Max Julien was super suave and charismatic and I'm stunned he didn't do more because the dude can act and has an empathetic presence despite having made some questionable, and some would say evil, choices in The Mack. I'm looking forward to checking out a few of his other films, the few he made, most notably Psych-Out, The Savage Seven, Uptight & Thomasine & Bushrod...and hell, even Cleopatra Jones, I'm ashamed to say I've never seen, which he wrote the screenplay for. There's an interesting character transformation here, I love the parallel between Goldie and his younger brother, who has managed to propagate a Black Panther esque Civil Rights Movement within their community while Goldie was in prison. He's doing the good they had always talked about, and out of prison Goldie goes down a different path, he's a changed man, and in many ways there is no going back. Richard Pryor was great also, I love his stand up, he's such a funny historical figure that gives added life to the solemn nature of the film.

Often times you'll believe you know the characters, what drives them, what they'll do, especially Goldie, but I quickly found out I had no fucking clue and it was naive to come to such conclusions. This is one of the best Blaxploitation films out there, I really loved it, it's a rich, rich screenplay with some fine performances, sometimes the best way to get the answers you're searching for is with a whole lot of questions and introspection. The soundtrack was also exceptional, the film does have a heaviness behind it but it also has a bunch of more lighthearted forays into the seedy underbelly of pimp pushing ( :P ) with Richard Pryor in the mix there's a good amount of comedy, some of it absurdist based solely on the situations they get into. This is a film that lingers in your mind, it sits with you, maybe indefinitely. Looking into the film's production a little bit really has me wondering why much of the crew didn't do much else, from the director to the screenwriter (his one and only credit) right down to Max Julien. I'm looking forward to watching it again...and again, sometime down the road. Highly recommended.

Post by Yul » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:51 am

Week 07: The Mack (Campus, 1973) ****

Great points from Nos in the post above, really is one of the more stellar blaxploitation flicks, Goldie is an awesome character who drives one badass muthafuckin' vehicle. I eat that shit right up. :D

Previous

Return to The Cineplex