It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:28 am

2015 Weekly Dashboard Challenge!

All purpose film discussion.

2015 Weekly Dashboard Challenge!

Post by Nos » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:21 am

This new site feature will challenge members to watch a movie every week. Every Thursday night a new film will be featured on the dashboard for the week, it's your job to search out and watch the film, come back to this thread and give a few thoughts and/or a rating. Your name and a link to your post will be added to the week next to the film, giving you a notch on your proverbial Infini-Belt for all time. The films I choose to be featured will be films I haven't seen before but want to see and this is a means of making sure I see them, join me citizens! Shout out to The Team, if you want to make any dashboard film suggestions feel free. Please note that acquiring some of these films may be difficult, The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch hasn't even been available with English subtitles in any form except with a download from a private tracker place like CG, subs made specifically by dedicated movie lovers pooling their language resources. It's recommended to have an account there, if you need an invite just let me know. :)

To give some leeway for viewing and participating I've decided to give out tiered 'medals'. If you watch the film during its featured week, comment and/or rate the film in this thread you will be added to the list with your name in Gold. If you watch the film within 4 weeks, including the featured week, comment and/or rate the film in this thread you will be added to the list with your name in Silver. If you watch the film during 2015, comment and/or rate the film in this thread you will be added to the list with your name in Bronze.

1 Week Window = Gold
4 Week Window = Silver
52 Week Window = Bronze

*NOTE: If you've already seen the featured film, during its featured week comment and/or rate the film in this thread and you will be added to the list with your name in Gold as well. Corresponding time windows apply.

Week 01: The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch (Yuasa, 1968) Obscureness, Nos, Yul
Week 02: C.H.U.D. (Cheek, 1984) Obscureness, Yul, Nos
Week 03: Mindwarp (Barnett, 1992) Nos, Yul
Week 04: Flesh+Blood (Verhoeven, 1985) Yul, Nos
Week 05: Deadly Prey (Prior, 1987) Yul, Nos
Week 06: Massacre Time (Fulci, 1966) Yul, Nos
Week 07: The Mack (Campus, 1973) Nos, Yul
Week 08: Three Outlaw Samurai (Gosha, 1964)
Week 09: In a Lonely Place (Ray, 1950)
Week 10: Allegro non troppo (Bozzetto, 1976)
Week 11: The Blood of a Poet (Cocteau, 1932)
Week 12: Outland (Hyams, 1981)
Week 13: The Ultimate Warrior (Clouse, 1975)
Week 14: Stagecoach (Ford, 1939)
Week 15: The Army of Shadows (Melville, 1969)
Week 16: Footprints on the Moon (Bazzoni, 1975)
Week 17:
Week 18:
Week 19:
Week 20:
Week 21:
Week 22:
Week 23:
Week 24:
Week 25:
Week 26:
Week 27:
Week 28:
Week 29:
Week 30:
Week 31:
Week 32:
Week 33:
Week 34:
Week 35:
Week 36:
Week 37:
Week 38:
Week 39:
Week 40:
Week 41:
Week 42:
Week 43:
Week 44:
Week 45:
Week 46:
Week 47:
Week 48:
Week 49:
Week 50:
Week 51:
Week 52:
I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

Re: 2015 Weekly Dashboard Challenge!

Post by Obscureness » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:30 am

Week 01: The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch (Yuasa, 1968)

It's been a couple of years since I've seen this but I gave it a 4/5. I remember the little girl enduring all kinds of horrors but would still put on the biggest smile.:lol:

Post by Nos » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:03 pm

The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch (Yuasa, 1968) ***

I really enjoyed this, beautifully filmed, it was like a fantasy family drama with some genuinely chilling moments of horror. I loved the ending, it was certainly fitting and even unexpected given the flow, and motivations involved. Don't you love flawed characters? Definitely recommended for a rainy late night turned up loud.

*Note the new changes to the Weekly Dashboard Challenge in the first post! I've added tiered medals for participation leeway.
I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

Post by Yul » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:23 am

Week 01: The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch (Yuasa, 1968) ***

Love the older brother character, and with a spot on ending like this has...it's totally worth a viewing.

"... watching... always on the prowl for intruders... ready to kill... ready to devour... thirsty for young blood."

Post by Obscureness » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:46 pm

Week 02: C.H.U.D. (Cheek, 1984) - 2.5/5

I thought this was pretty average and just wasn't cheesy or gory enough to really make it memorable.

Post by Yul » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:36 pm

Week 02: C.H.U.D. (Cheek, 1984) ***

The Home Alone tandem was awesome in this, solid entertainment throughout with some pretty unique effects and scenes of gore.

"... watching... always on the prowl for intruders... ready to kill... ready to devour... thirsty for young blood."

Post by Nos » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:25 pm

C.H.U.D. (Cheek, 1984) ***

Solid piece of schlocky 80's horror, corrupt political undercurrent, good screen presence and team of Daniel Stern & John Heard and I liked the look of the film. It kind of reminded me of early Cronenberg. :P It took itself somewhat seriously and was played pretty straight, which added to some of the undeniable cheesier moments, overall good effects and interesting creature look, some unsettling shots of gore and an entertaining premise make for a pretty good time. Beer recommended. :mrgreen:

Post by Yul » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:12 pm

A deeper look at this week's Dashboard Challenge!

In the future, life will be a dream. And reality a nightmare.

Week 03: Mindwarp (Barnett, 1992)

AKA Brainslasher

Directed by: Steve Barnett
Produced by: Norman Jacobs, Steven Jacobs, Alexandra Reed
Written by: John Brancato & Michael Ferris
Starring: Bruce Campbell, Angus Scrimm, Marta Alicia, Elizabeth Kent
Music by: Mark Governor
Edited by: Adam Wolfe
Production Company: Fangoria Films
Distributed by: Columbia Pictures
Running Time: 91 minutes
Language: English

In 2037, after a nuclear disaster has just about destroyed the Earth, the planet's remaining dwellers retreat to Inworld, an enclosed biosphere where computers control all aspects of life. But a beautiful young woman rebels against the Inworld's pre-fabricated existence and demands the right to experience "real" life. So the biosphere's System Operator exiles Judy to the mutant-ridden outside world. Once there, she is kidnapped by deformed cannibals who want her to breed with their evil leader. Will Judy be able to escape the horrors of this futuristic, toxic wasteland?

Cult horror veterans Bruce Campbell (The Evil Dead) and Angus Scrimm (Phantasm) co-star in Mindwarp (1992), one of three pictures produced by the short lived Fangoria Films (an off-shoot of the popular horror film magazine). The other two films made under this label include Children of the Night (Randel, 1991) & Severed Ties (Santostefano, 1992). Made for, reportedly, under one million dollars and shot in 22 days. Bruce Campbell met his wife, Ida Gearon, on the set of this film. According to his auto-biography, Campbell approached her with the excuse of wanting to learn how to sew, which is what his character would do in the movie.

Post by Nos » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:43 pm

Mindwarp (Barnett, 1992) **1/2

Pretty cool genre curio that didn't quite reach the level it was aspiring toward, Bruce Campbell and Angus Scrimm were good and Marta Martin was pretty cute in the central role. It was an interesting idea, albeit shamelessly recycled, but I like seeing post apocalyptic futures and scenarios, a different perspective which is what Martin's character was looking for in the film as well. The story was pretty obvious and simple, I felt they could have explored it with greater insight. Solid effects and creature designs, shocking violence and gore, I'd recommend it to genre fans, worth seeing.

Post by Yul » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:26 am

Week 03: Mindwarp (Barnett, 1992) **1/2

It was easy to become immersed into this underground post-apocalyptic realm, with all the sliding down tunnel traps, awesome appearances from Bruce and Scrimm, top notch moments of gore and the Crawlers were pretty damn cool too. Definitely worth a viewing but did fall short from being a truly good film.

Next

Return to The Cineplex